Why is Goal Setting Important?
Goal setting is important because if you’re going to achieve something you need to know what it is!! Without a defined goal in mind, the work your doing each and everyday isn’t targeted towards getting you what you want – that ultimate ‘future state’.
All successful people set goals. ALL OF THEM.
Athletes set goals for new PBs, people set health and wellbeing goals (think 12 week challenges), academics set goals for their grades or publishing peer reviewed articles, business owners set revenue goals, sales managers set sales targets – and the list could go on forever.
Goal Setting – How to Get it Done!
The first step is to figure out what that ideal ‘future state’ is because you need to know what you’re aiming for! What are you trying to achieve? I find that it helps me to be more focused if I set goals for each aspect of my life. Your goals may fall into totally different arenas but for me, I set goals for:
- The blog: social media engagement, web traffic and google rankings, product sales and membership growth.
- Work (the day job): career progression, skill development and project completion.
- Health & fitness: I’m currently doing on of those 12 week challenges (if you’re interested in reading about that I’ll be covering it soon).
- Relationships: I set goals for increasing the amount of time I spend with my family and my friends. That may seem a bit mechanical but I have a tendency to be a workaholic so setting those goals helps me to maintain a healthy balance.
How to Achieve Your Goals
I’ve seen a great quote around the inter webs: A goal without a plan is just a dream. I’m not sure who said it, but I love it because it’s 100% true. You can set goals all day long but if you don’t develop a plan to achieve them and consistently work on them, they’re just fluffy dreams that aren’t likely to come true.
Take each goal that you have set and break it down into smaller chunks so that it seems more achievable. For example, I wanted to grow my Instagram following to 10K by June this year. To do that I set monthly goals of a smaller figure and developed a set of strategies to boost engagement with my audience and reach out to new potential followers. I implemented those strategies and monitored my progress diligently – and the result was that I now have 10.2K followers! If you’d like to know my strategies – head this way.
Tips and Tricks for Effective Goal Setting
Goal setting isn’t difficult, and it doesn’t need to be a long-winded process. Having said that it can be a little tricky to get the hang of if it’s new to you. A couple of things that I recommend when setting goals are:
- Be specific and measurable. You need to know when you’ve achieved it so make sure you can measure your progress.
- Write you goals as a positive statement, as if you’ve already achieved it. Then start using it in your daily affirmation practice to maintain laser-like focus.
- Write them down!! Can’t stress this one enough – the first step to committing to your goals is writing them down.
- Create a vision board and put it somewhere you see it everyday. I look at mine every morning right before I do my affirmations. I find that keeps me focused on my goals everyday.
- If you struggle with accountability then find yourself an accountability partner – tell them your goals and do weekly check-ins. If you don’t have a friend that’s suitable, look into hiring a life coach or a business coach depending on the results you’re after.